Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Smoked pork tacos and pineapple salsa 6/10

Smoked Pork Tacos


1 ½ pounds of lean pork, loin or tenderloin works well here, although any part will do
A full cup of freshly squeezed lime juice and orange juice (mixed together half and half to make a cup)
Salt and pepper
Lots of garlic

**I had in my freezer some kalua pulled pork, which is just basically pork, salt and smoke. so I took that pork and added the garlic and orange and lime juice. I like the idea of a shredded pork better then the strips.

I am also going to make a simple Pineapple salsa with it:

Pineapple salsa:
Ingredients:
1 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple
2 tablespoons finely chopped purple onion
2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
1 tablespoon finely chopped red bell pepper, optional
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon honey
dash ground red pepper, cayenne or chipotle
2 teaspoons finely minced jalapeno pepper, optional
juice of 1 fresh lime, about 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Preparation:
Combine all ingredients; cover and refrigerate for an hour or more to blend flavors. Serve with grilled or broiled fish, chicken, or pork. Makes about 1 1/3 cups.

***** We LOVED this dinner, but it was a lot of citrus with the Pork, pineapple salsa and the guac ( which I like tart). The pineapple salsa was a huge hit getting 10's and 9's all around, the pork was 5's and 7's. If I were to do this meal again I would not pair the salsa and pork together and stick with a traditional salsa, saving the pineapple salsa for another meal. I also might try and crock pot my ingredients to get my shredded pork it would be a fun experiment. =0) OH, and we take corn tortillas and fry them in a pan to make "homemade taco shell" this was the true star of the night and what the kids enjoyed the most!

No comments:

Post a Comment