Monday, January 9, 2012

Our version of Cafe Reo Pork 9/9

This dinner is my very favorite!! I gave it a 9/9 my kids would probably give it less, but only because we eat it SO often! with this dinner, its all about the crock pot baby! In my mind you need three important components to make this dinner shine, the pork, the rice and MANGO SALSA! here are the three recipes:

Sweet Pulled Pork:

4-5 lbs pork roast
19 oz of your favorite salsa
1 can of sprite or mountain dew
1 1/2 cup brown sugar

I dump all the ingredients into my crock pot and put it on low or high depending on how much time I have it needs a minimum of five hours I think to really get tender and full of flavorful. Its easy to mess with more or less salsa, more or less soda and sugar. you decide but these key ingredients always come out fantastic!

RICE:

1 cup Uncooked Rice
1 teaspoon Butter
2 cloves Garlic, Minced
1 Tablespoon Fresh Lime Juice Plus 1 Teaspoon, Divided
1 can (15 Oz. Can) Chicken Broth
1 cup Water
3 Tablespoons Fresh Chopped Cilantro
2 teaspoons Sugar


Combine rice, butter, garlic, 1 teaspoon lime juice, chicken broth and water in a saucepan or rice cooker. Cook for 15-20 minutes until rice is tender.
In a small bowl, combine remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice, sugar, and cilantro. Pour over the hot cooked rice and mix in as you fluff the rice.


** I actually just cook in the cilantro, lime and sugar with my rice, PURE laziness...

MANGO SALSA:

one bag of frozen mango salsa thawed, diced
one can of corn
one tomato diced
one orange bell pepper diced
1 can black beans drained
1/4 diced red onion
1/8 cup lime juice
2 tablespoons orange/apricot/strawberry ( whatever you have around...except grape) jelly
1 bunch of cilantro chopped

I love to do this in my food processor, I put in the cilantro, red onion slices, bell pepper quartered and pulse it a few times until I like the consistency, then I throw in my mango and hit pulse a few more times until I like it all, dump the mixture into a bowl and add the remaining ingredients.

***I thought I found this recipe on a web site, but after an extensive search I realized I had taken about five different recipes and made up my own....so there you have it. OH and if you are having black beans on the side ( which we usually do with this dinner) then I leave the black beans out of the salsa.

NOW that you have read though this dinner ( which surprisingly sounds much more complicated then it actually is!) don't forget so many of the amazing sides! Some GF chips or tortillas to make burritos, DF cheese and DF sour cream, guacamole and maybe some regular salsa for those not feeling as sweet. =) I hope you enjoy this one, it my FAVORITE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment